Monday 25 February 2013

J'arrive!!!

24/2/13 8am
Touch down in Paris, in the snow! As we descend, all that I can see out the window is white, until the very last moment and then some buildings appear, with snow all around, not thick but lovely nonetheless, light flakes falling still. The outside temperature is a balmy zero degrees :-)
We taxi for a long long time before finally pulling up at the terminal. In the airport, I find my luggage and am waved through customs without a second glance - no declaration paperwork to complete, unlike in Australia. My next task is to find the Les Cars Air France bus stop which, according to my apartment host (a flight attendant for whom CDG airport is like a second home) is near exit C2. I can see many exits and signs, none of which could reasonably be described as C2. Uh-oh!!! I take a moment to retrieve my winter woollies from my suitcase then, more suitably attired, I venture outside the main doors to look for a sign. And there it is, not very far away. No getting lost "adventures" for me today - yet anyway - relief!!! A short wait and then finally on the bus and heading into the city. Next stop Gare de Lyon, where I lug (so maybe that's where that word came from!) my luggage down the steps to the Metro ticket booth. Thankfully an easy transaction to purchase my ticket, then just a quick ride and I'm at my station and looking for the correct exit. A fairly long walk, another set of steps (up this time) and there in front of me is the landmark shop, just as my host described. I take the street as instructed, and locate my building. Before I left home I'd searched on Google maps for the street view of my apartment, as suggested to me by a friend who'd found it a helpful preparation for her trip. What a great idea!! As I walk I recognise buildings I'd viewed online, so I know I'm heading in the right direction (thanks for the great tip Eleanor!!). A couple of minutes later the bright red door is right in front of me and, even better, the door code I've been given works and I'm in!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment