Monday 11 March 2013

Deuxième semaine à la école

11/3/13
Paris returns to icy weather today with sleet - not a word we hear all that often in Perth! - and temperatures hovering around 0 degrees C, and the forecast is for snow tomorrow!! It's essential to rug up again this morning, and as I walk to school from the Metro I wonder how the homeless survive this time of year.
Our lesson today is conducted entirely en français, which is challenging but very exciting as it really allows us to see the progress we've made in just one week, particularly when it comes to comprehension. Even when one of the class doesn't understand something today and asks for clarification (in French, of course, nothing else is acceptable any more - Stephanie just says "Je ne comprends pas" right back at us!) she then gives further explanations in French until we get it. It's such a good way to learn.
More verbs this morning, and yet more! Stephanie is determined that we will repeat the pattern for conjugating regular verbs until it's second nature. I'm amazed at how many words I'm remembering - my vocabulary is growing! Constructing sentences is also getting easier, as is pronunciation - what do they say? Perfect practice makes perfect :-)
We also learn today about numerical ranking, such as being able to say "J'habite dans le 12ème arrondissement" (or "I live in the 12th arrondissement"). As before, there are helpful patterns to follow. We also learn how to say the days, months, seasons and date, when we were born (la date de naissance) and how to ask questions in that vein, as well as how to tell the time. All very useful vocabulary :-)
Stephanie sets us homework and sends us on our way for another day.
It's so cold that I seriously consider taking the Metro but reason that the walk will do me good and I'm well rugged up. We learned today that the season changes are not marked on the first of the month like they are in Australia, so it's actually still winter here until the 21st of March (21st June and 21st December - the solstices - mark the beginning of summer and winter respectively) - no wonder it's still so cold ;-) I stop in at my local patisserie and ask for "une tarte citron" and clearly my pronunciation still needs work because the lady thinks I've asked for "un traditional" (a type of bread) and I have to repeat myself "plus lentement" to be understood - it definitely goes both ways!

On my walks I've noticed that the French are a little "casual" about pedestrian lights and seem to see a red or flashing orange light at a pedestrian crossing as......... well, just a suggestion really! I'm learning not to assume that they'll stop even though I have the green light to cross! And from my accumulated wisdom on walking in Paris I would also recommend NOT crossing the street as soon as the little green man appears - unlike in Australia where there's usually a delay between the light turning red and the green pedestrian light appearing, here it seems to be a simultaneous occurrence, but more often than not there is sure to be at least one driver who is going through anyway! At this point I can hear my beautiful husband laughing as he imagines me standing at the pedestrian crossing with my pointing finger out and my indignant face on............ 5 more sleeps and you can come see for yourself babe xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment