Thursday 14 March 2013

The snow comes, the snow goes.......

14/3/13
This morning the sun is shining again and the snow is melting away - c'est la vie! Last night I watched the Papal announcement live on BBC World News, as the faithful gathered in the rain in St Peter's square. If the temperature in Rome was anything like Paris then they truly were the faithful!
Today has been the first real "same same" day I've had since being here - I go to school, I learn more vocabulary and practise my pronunciation, I walk home. Not that I'm complaining, it's a nice feeling to have a routine and to feel so at home in this beautiful city. I like to think of myself as a "temporary citizen" rather than a tourist ;-)
I think I'm coping fairly well with the amount of new vocabulary and the rules of the French language, although occasionally at the end of a school day it feels like total information overload! Today our lesson focuses on words to describe clothing, the body and face, and how to talk about pain and illness - always helpful :-) More and more Stephanie engages us in conversation, requiring more complete sentences, correct grammar and word order, and precise pronunciation. And these days she never speaks "en anglais" at all, which means we have no choice but to work it out - she's really a very good teacher and clearly loves her job!

The footpaths are mostly clear of ice and snow when I set off for home. The only hazard to avoid is the sudden and random waterfalls of icy water as the snow melts on the roofs and drips off the eaves and awnings onto unsuspecting pedestrians below (me included, thank goodness for waterproof jackets)!
After what will most likely be the last Skype before my gorgeous husband gets on a plane to join me (ok, it's had its fun and novel moments but by now I'm pretty much over digital conversations......) I shop and cook tonight, and fill the fridge and freezer with yummy meals to share when he arrives on Saturday - so excited!!!!!

Now, dishes done, I have homework to write, some French TV to watch (great for improving the comprehension), and a glass of vin rouge awaiting me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment