Saturday 9 March 2013

Samedi à Paris

9/3/13
This morning I look back at my earlier blog posts and start to see some grammar mistakes, and I realize that my mum, a high school French teacher in her day, hasn't emailed to correct any of my errors. I spoke to her just this morning and she didn't say a thing! Bless you Mum xo. So I'll be doing my own corrections gradually as I learn, being the perfectionist that I am (but feel free to let me know if you do see any glaring errors, Mum!!!)
Today I decide to give my brain a rest from verbs and plan instead to spend several hours exploring La Rive Gauche (The Left Bank). Last night I mapped out a bit of a route that takes in Le Jardin du Luxembourg, Saint-Germain-des-Près, and finishes at La Tour Eiffel - not that I plan to climb it today, some things I'm waiting to do with my lovely husband :-)
It's rained a little overnight but the forecast is promising so I don't bother with my umbrella or even a jumper but just wear my coat over a long-sleeved t-shirt and hope for the best.
I set off just before 10am and walk down Boulevard Henri IV to cross the Seine at Pont de Sully, by now pretty familiar. I stroll along Boulevard St-Germain, and a little way along I come across a small market with lots of lovely fresh food stalls. Since I've planned a market visit for tomorrow morning I don't buy anything here but it looks lovely so I could definitely come back another day. I wander on, up Rue de l'Odéon, to find the Palais du Luxembourg, which now houses the French Senate, and is at the northern end of Le Jardin du Luxembourg. The gardens are in traditional French style - symmetrically laid out - with rows of chestnut trees. It's really rather beautiful and I very much enjoy wandering.  There are numerous joggers and other committed fitness fanatics doing their thing as well as plenty of people simply enjoying the more pleasant weather. The sun is shining through some light clouds today and I notice that the trees are beginning to bud. I hope that in the next couple of weeks I'll start to see Paris as it looks in the spring. I think these lovely gardens will be a wonderful spot for a picnic some time soon (take note, beautiful husband xoxo) :-)

I snap some quick photos of a child with a Finding Nemo balloon who is joy personified as he walks along with his dad. He's totally entranced by his huge helium balloon, and I can't resist, he's just gorgeous :-)

From here I wander on, following my nose and relying on occasional glimpses, between the buildings, of the most recognizable Paris icon to keep me heading in the right direction. Eventually I arrive at the eastern end of the Parc du Champ de Mars and the Eiffel Tower is looking lovely today.

I take a few shots but am really a bit of a snap happy photographer and don't often manage to get a photo that truly captures what my eyes are seeing.  I love my husband's eye for photos and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Paris, and this beautiful icon in particular :-) I stick around and admire the view for a while and then start to make my way back in the direction I came from, via the Hotel des Invalides and its magnificent gold-domed church, Église du Dôme.

Today I'm dining out for lunch and I choose a little restaurant on Rue de Sèvres where the staff are friendly and accommodating with my limited French. After lunch (quiche du jour) I stroll through the quaint (and very exclusive) cobbled streets of St-Germain-des-Près - I think this is where the rich and glamourous hang out and it's teeming with people enjoying the numerous restaurants and "boutiques de mode"!

The afternoon is now sunny and mild as I head back home to meet my apartment host who has returned from her holiday. She's very nice and speaks English well and we enjoy a cuppa and a chat before I head out again to the supermarket. After a quick Skype with my wonderful husband before he goes to bed, I make pumpkin soup the best I can without a blender of any sort and it turns out to be surprisingly good. A glass of red goes down well too!
As much as I'd love to have a completely indulgent and relaxed evening, I do have homework I need to do, so being the diligent student that I am, I get that done first then the rest of the evening is mine! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment